Coronavirus: Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Statement
Key elements of the joint statement issued on behalf of 53 ASEM partners:
• Recognition that combating the COVID-19 pandemic needs concerted international cooperation, with transparent and timely sharing of accurate information.
• Agreement that government measures in response to the pandemic “should protect and not undermine human rights”, avoid stigmatisation and protect those in vulnerable situations.
• Acknowledgement that tackling the pandemic requires international cooperation to accelerate the development and delivery of vaccines, diagnostics and treatments, which is considered a “global public good for health”.
• Welcoming the adoption of the 73rd World Health Assembly Resolution on COVID-19 in its entirety. This resolution includes the need to evaluate lessons learned from the world’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Keep disruption to international trade to the minimum while observing public health and safety considerations.
• Commitment to a sustainable post-COVID-19 socio-economic recovery, based on the Paris Agreement and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.